Monday, October 03, 2005

Last night I felt very grownup; we went to a party, but left at quarter to twelve! And it wasn’t because we were kicked out or we were having a bad time, it was only because we were being sensible.
One minute I was on the dance floor, the next minute I was all wrapped up in my warm jacket (that I had taken out of the suitcase especially to wear on this first cold night of the year. Again very sensible and grownup I thought. You should have seen all the other girls in town in their little dresses or short skirts and vest tops and sandals! And then people wonder why so many are binge drinking; they are just trying to warm themselves up probably) and I was walking (actually walking, as apposed to hanging off some poor whoever to avoid tripping over, shouting, ‘’ave I eve’ told you…you’re alright you ar’’) down the road to see a friend’s new BMW before we went home.
In fact this car viewing was probably the only non-grownup thing about last night since for some reason it’s practically impossible for Kamyar to keep his cool when faced with a car with Harman Kardon speakers (I’m convinced he only likes them because the name sounds Turkish). Well nobody’s perfect.

I like parties. I prefer them to going to nightclubs. I don’t really go to many parties now days but when I do go I always try my best to have a good time and to be seen to have a good time. It’s just nice for the host isn’t it? No one likes to see their guests standing around looking glum. That’s why I will do anything that I can to try and show my host that I am having a good time, even if it means getting drugged up to my eyeballs or alcohol poisoning.
Don’t worry I’m only kidding; of course if I do any of those things, I will only be doing them for myself and not for some host.

Last night I only had two bottles of beer, a little dance, and a few shouty conversations over the music in one of which I ended up getting completely soaked by the other person’s saliva. At first I kept squinting and moving about but then I stopped all that as I remembered this samurai code from Ghost Dog ‘There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. By doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to all things.’
It always feels great when you get to put something you have learnt into practice.


PS If you feel like something good to read, have a read of Gazankhan’s latest post about a traumatic childhood experience in which he was swallowed by a well, touched by god, comforted by a two headed turtle and saved by a man who allegedly went on to become Iran’s most fanatical underwear designer!

6 comments:

GazanKhan said...

Shirin I opened your blog right after you post it! Isn't it strange? when I looked at my watch I find out that I opened it a few second after you; Wow!
And I really enjoyed the samurai words of wisdom and I'm agree with it and with you. But I must confess that I don't like getting all wet by saliva, no mam, as a matter of fact I hate it .
P.S. You flattered me my good friend. Now some may say:"look how shamelessly these two scrach each other's backs!"
P.S.2, This time it didn't ask to fill name and password.

Shirin said...

You’re welcome Gazankhan. I only recommended this because I enjoyed it myself. But are you really worried about people thinking we are scratching each other’s backs? Why? It really isn’t strange for people if they say on their blog that they have enjoyed reading something :-) I think you might be putting down a few too many strict bloging rules for yourself.
Hope you enjoyed your private lesson on shorthand remarks;-)
Your homework for tonight: Draw me using the signs you have learnt about.

Anonymous said...

shirin, i appreciate your...dare i say hesitation...at the fact that you are becoming sensible. i feel the same, especially now on the eve of the anniversary of my birth, and all the seriousness of getting older and becoming more and more like my parents sinks in like a high-heeled shoe in the mud...and i only seem to get truly drunk anymore when i am at home surrounded by friends.

but most seriously, i am wondering what kind of bmw you were looking at.

amanda

linda said...

Parties...
I don't know, but I feel like getting a good night sleep these days...
the older I get the harder it gets for me to sleep sound and well...
Staying up late, doesn't do any good to that either...
I used to get excited about parties..
Now I get excited by my new Bed Spread...

Anonymous said...

that's very sensible of you Linda, I get excited about seeing my apt these days even though I haven't really gone out much this week.

Shirin said...

It was a 325 I I think or maybe CI or SI! One thing I’m definitely sure about is that it was silver.
Ah, bedspreads, apartments; lovely. We’re off to the countryside again today :-(