Saturday, December 10, 2005

Since today is the one week anniversary of me having my toe crushed by a very jolly, skipping heavy metal guy, I thought it was an appropriate time to let you in on a couple of things I found out about heavy metal fans at this Opeth concert that we went to last Saturday. By the way Opeth is a Swedish band that Kamyar likes and I quite like them too on account of them being the only band he likes where the lead singer is not only ever making the kind of noises that you hear coming from the toilets of a students’ hall of residence after a big night out.

As we entered the hall, the first thing that I noticed was that there was a very strange smell in the air. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it at first but then after a few more sniffs here and there, I managed to work out what it was. Yes, it’s official; the sweat of heavy metal fans smells like cumin! It’s hard to believe I know but it’s true. Go to a heavy metal concert and experience it for yourself or if you’re not brave enough to do that, just take my word for it.
It was obvious that these fans had really done themselves up for this concert. You could tell they had spent a lot of time shampooing, conditioning, drying and straightening those blonde locks of theirs to perfection. You could smell all the different hair products from a mile off. From what I gathered Pantene Pro V was the number one choice there followed by Loreal Elvive Vitamax Shampoo. You couldn’t help wishing they had put some of that stuff under their armpits as well but what can you do? It’s not that I dislike cumin or anything like that, it’s just that it did give a weird Indian restaurant feel to the place that I felt we could have done without. The way I see it there is a time and a place for cumin and an Opeth concert is definitely not it.

8 comments:

Em said...

Hello Shirin

I personally prefer Linkin Part but wouldnt checkin Opeth out...

U seemed an expert on Shampoos I wouldnt be able to tell and I attribute that to your great sense of smell.

Anyway wanted to tell u to have a great day ahead n take care.

linda said...

See u shouldnt hang out with a crowd who uses normal Grocory store shampoos and conditioner..
I would always prefer the more high end ones, like the ones you can only get in saloons and speciallty store..
I just dont like to be around the type of people who dont respect their hair enough to spend at least 20$ on shampoo but will spend twice that amount on booze...
(Reminds me, this week I have spent around 40$ on my shampoo and conditioner!!!!)

GazanKhan said...

It's 441 now and is here!catch you later love!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Shirin. Opeth concert is definitely not the place for cumin. I also loved how you described the vocalist of Opeth. You can easily right for Metal Hammer magazine :¬D

nyx said...

*haha* cumin??? weired.

Shirin said...

Em, I’m not an expert at all; I only recognised those because I’ve used them before myself. And yes check Opeth out, they are very good and very original I think.

Oo I don’t think you’re gonna like me either then Linda because only recently I upgraded from a Tesco’s own brand shampoo to Pantene which I thought was very classy! I hope this doesn’t mean that you are not going to let me play the part of Jose in your play.

I see what you mean Gazankhan ;-) Yes I know what’s happening there, I’ll tell you later.

Thanks Kamyar ;-) I might just send this off to Metal Hammer to see what they think.

:-) Hi Nyx.

Anonymous said...

hehe.. i once saw opeth perform an entirely acoustic set. AMAZING! and to see all those carefully groomed metalheads swaying gently to the music instead of headbanging their luxurious locks was entirely worth the price of the ticket.

Shirin said...

This one wasn’t acoustic Lo but the metalheads still weren’t being crazy or anything. Some were trying to headbang but they just looked weird. There wasn’t even a mushpit! I couldn’t believe it.